Friday, February 27, 2009

Job Leads - Out of Town, many many leads.

Greetings!

Part of any job search is evaluating when, if ever, you will be willing to relocate to find the next job. When I was laid off from Motorola in Dallas in 1986 it was a no-brainer. I had wanted to move back to Virginia anyway and the layoff gave me an opportunity to do so. That was one of two layoffs that helped shape my career (and my life) for the better.

For most of you the relocation decision will be more difficult. My advice to you is:
  • Make a Plan - Decide in advance at what point you will be looking at employment out of the area. Immediately, 3 months, 12 months, never.
  • Talk to the Family - There is an impact to them too, even if you relocate and they stay here.
  • Understand the Opportunities - I wouldn't advise uprooting the family for a mediocre job, and research on which areas have the best jobs is very valuable.
  • Tolerance for Flexibility - There are many options with taking a job out of the area. Telecommuting, weekend home trips, relocating the family after the job proves stable, relocation assistance as a negotiated part of the compensation, etc. How flexible are you? Be realistic with yourself!
Check this list out. There are companies out there that are hiring technology professionals. Some are doing significant hiring. Use this list as a starting point for making your decisions about approaching relocation. There is a real mix in this list. Note at the bottom of the list is some reference articles that may be helpful.

Good Luck!

Barry

1 comment:

  1. I forgot to mention that Collins Denney found this, and put it on LinkedIn. I got it from him.

    Just wanted him to have the Cudo! Great job Collins!

    Barry

    ReplyDelete